Lead UC Youth
Our Mission & Goal
Lead UC Youth will empower teens to become confident leaders, through various acts of service by increasing awareness and involvement in creating a safer, cleaner, more enjoyable community.
This initiative will increase community vitality through leadership, engagement and diversity.
It is our goal to help develop youth to become confident leaders.
Nominations Must Be Received By April 15th To Be Eligible For Next Year's Class
Applications Must Be Received By May 1st To Be Eligible For Next Year's Class
class of 2019
"This was a very good program with helpful people that teach you very important lessons"
• Improve personal leadership skills.
• Expand social networks to new community members.
• Increase awareness of the opportunities the community offers.
• Increase their understanding of techniques used to develop positive school and community climate.
• Practice written and oral communication skills.
• Develop a process for peer-to-peer learning.
• Increase understanding of the concepts of conflict resolutions.
• Develop strong student and community linkages.
• Improve student motivation in academic endeavors.
• Complement the Iowa Core Curriculum and 21st Century Skills.
• Create a corps of informed student leaders.
• Build positive collaboration for community and school development.
• Engage students in community issues and provide grassroots input.
• Get an early start on developing the next generation of community leaders.
• Empower teens to make positive choices.
• Engage youth to be involved in community service projects.
• Expose youth to the wide array of community and business opportunities in Union County.
• Encourage youth to become active participants and lead change for their community.
In addition to the regular class sessions, class members are expected to participate in assigned outside discussions and activities. Due to size restrictions of each year’s class, it is possible qualified applicants will not be selected for the class. Applicants are encouraged to reapply in subsequent years.
Basic Selection Criteria:
Interest in developing leadership potential or show demonstrated leadership potential.
Diversity is one of the essential characteristics in a learning experience in which participants learn from one another. To achieve that goal, we seek a group that reflects diverse backgrounds and/or experiences.
Must be in good academic standing and have no attendance or major disciplinary problems in school.
School counselors, teachers, and/or administrative staff and parents must approve of students’ participation.